Friday 7 September 2018

Scissors

To be honest, all I ever 'properly' learnt sewing from was from primary and secondary school. When I said 'properly', it's really informal. Teacher would never go to teach each student one by one. Probably that's why no one really enjoys sewing. I forgot how I was taught in primary school, but in secondary, teacher just gave you task(s) then expected you to hand in the 'homework' some other day. So yea, we basically just need to try following directions from the textbook. If you manage to figure things out, good for you! Otherwise, let's just nudge our 'neighbour' to help us out! Come to think of it, my mom is definitely a whole lot better teacher. She rarely sew in front of me, unless there's a button going loose or so on, but I know she's the one who has indirectly inspired me to become the person I now am today.

Here are some personal tips and advice on:

- Scissors -

1. Get one
Depending on which hand you use, get the right scissors for yourself. For those left-'handers', if you want to train your right hand, or vice-versa, no one is there to stop you! I never knew left-handed scissors exist until my friend showed it to me. Hmm... Maybe that some day I will try to train my left hand to be as active as my right!

2. Understand it
Only you will know your scissors' 'temper'. So, mine is actually not that sharp since the beginning. Why? Beats me. Ask the stationery shop/manufacturer ;) It cuts papers perfectly well, but not for thinner material like thread or thicker material like felt. Come to think of it, yes I have been told before that I should have a scissors specialized in cloth cutting. I'm fine with the current one now. All I need to do when I'm cutting from felt is to use the part where it's the sharpest. It's somewhere in between the blades!

2. Don't share 
It it's meant for crafts, then let it stays that way. Do not use it to cut food packaging like milo. Otherwise it will become sticky and that's not fun. If you want to cut your hair, find one that's meant for it! Trust me, been there, done that. You won't like your hair style if you use a normal one, unless you want to create your own fashion! For now, I own only one, but in the future, if I'm working on clothes again, I will get that special one!

3. Keep clean
If you cut an area with glue, your scissors most probably will have glue 'stain'. Avoid washing it under water, especially if your scissor is not stainless steel, like mine. A good way to remove glue stain is to rub it off with a rubber :D Other times, just use clean dry soft materials like tissue.

Fun Fact: Since I only have one for my crafts, whenever I misplaced it, it's really a nightmare. I will have to wait for it to come out when the time is right (possibly when my room is less messy)! 

Here's a sneak peak on what I have been working on lately! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment